
I’ve had this subject going around in my mind for a couple of weeks. Trust. How do you trust when trust hasn’t been a part of your experience of life? I haven’t even had self-trust, let alone trusting other people. How do you trust when the people who you would think you could trust in your childhood have let you down, not lightly, but to a point where if you can’t trust them, who can you trust?
Trust is something that is a very basic instinct in most of us. Some definitions of trust are:
Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.
To have or place confidence in; depend on.
To be confident; hope.
To expect with assurance; assume: I trust that you will be on time.
To believe: I trust what you say.
To have or place reliance; depend.
So as a child you place your trust in your caregivers, that they will protect you and that you can rely on them. What if that trust is abused? It becomes a lifelong battle to regain a sense of trust in other people. And in yourself. I try so hard to trust other people but somewhere inside this little voice, maybe the inner child, is saying to me “The only person you can depend on is yourself”, “You must be in control” and “Don’t trust because they will only let you down”.
There are people I have gained a trust in more than others but even then it is a battle. I am gaining a bit more trust in myself though. I came from a background where I wasn’t allowed to make a decision. Every decision had to go through my Dad and it would take me days to get up the confidence to ask him if I could do something. So when I reached adulthood I questioned every decision I made. I had no self-trust whatsoever. It didn’t make for a very good working life because I worried myself sick about decisions I made and even worried most times about actually going to work. As a nurse I restricted myself when I could have worked in a lot better environment than the one I chose.
So how does something that, from a small child has been missing, be regained? Do I trust anybody? There are people I trust more than others. I honestly don’t know how to regain that basic instinct to trust people that comes from a secure childhood or that hasn’t been abused. I know it is probably repetitiveness, learning to trust someone who has never let me down. And I try hard not to let that little voice inside take over but it is really an ongoing process. It is so deep within and has been such a part of me. I think right from the moment I was born I didn’t trust, so maybe it is saying, okay, I will never be a trusting person but if I learn to trust myself and my intuition, maybe that will be enough. It’s okay to just be me and accept that part of me that will never be able to totally trust people.
Kaz

23 comments:
Actually Kazza, I hate disappointment! Hate it with a passion.
Trust is such a toughy! Great post!
Hi Kazza, good plan. Learn to trust yourself and then maybe trust for others will follow. Great post.
Thanks Roses, it is a toughy. I guess it can be learned, even though it is a hard one to get inside a mind that pushes it away.
Hi Rosymosie, it's an ongoing process but I think I have a lot more trust now than I used to so there must be some progress. Especially self trust because it is so necessary in life. If you can't trust any of your decisions it can become very restricting.
Yes it is a great post Kazza.
Thanks Kahless. Trust keeps coming up constantly lately.
Very nice statement KazzaB,
Lots of deep thought and self reflection I think.
Well done and I like your ending with , perhaps this is as good as it gets.
Graffiti
Thanks Tony. I think I accept that I will never get to the point that I will totally trust someone but if I can get say, half way there or even three quarters, then that's fine. That's an improvement on no trust at all.
Kazza, you are so right to trust yourself above all others. Trust is something that can be tarnished if you were never shown it or never had it to begin with. And when we are small trusting our parents is the most important thing to have, but if that trust is broken, as mine was, you have a hard time trusting again. Thanks for the great post...Mary
Thanks for visiting Mary. You are right, it is a really hard thing to regain, is trust. I suppose in a way I do know who to trust and who not to but it's a different sort of trust I'm talking about. There is always a doubt there, deep down.
I have been thinking further on this Kazza.
Re: self trust.
It is also about maybe acceptance of self in that trust? ie, sometimes we will get it right, sometimes we will get decisions wrong. At the end of the day, what does it really matter? We dont have to get everything 100% right to trust our own decisions.
I think you are right there Kahless. I know I've had a need to get everything perfect with my uni assignments, right from the beginning, so it's easing off the pressure and realising not everything has to be 100%. That's been a real learning curb as well.
I have enormous trust issues as well. It is proving to be a difficult thing. It borders on the paranoid for me sometimes. Not only do I feel like I can't rely on people, but sometimes I feel like those close to me might be trying to set me up to hurt me somehow. I don't know how to fix it. You wouldn't believe some of the awful scenarios that go through my head sometimes when I want and need to trust someone who is close to me.
It is something that is really hard Lynn because if that trust isn't something that has been built up over the years, then I'm not sure how you can ingrain it into your being. I don't know if there is an answer to be honest.
Oooo, Less than two weeks to uni now; time to get those pencils sharpened!
And a new blog post up
:-)
Thank you for that reminder about Uni, my friend!! LOL Not that I don't want to go back but just that I haven't started an essay that I need to get done for second semester.
As for the next post, I'm thinking about it, honest. LOL I'll have more time at the end of the week.
Cheers..........Kazza
Who said students are lazy...
youre up early!!!
Me, Lazy!!! oh, okay, maybe!! LOL I've got to go to work today Kahless. I'm doing some reception relief work. I was actually awake at 4.00 this morning. LOL
Well I am off to bed now as I am up at 5.25 urgh!!!
See you later!
Nite Nite Kahless. Have a good sleep.
((((((((Hug))))))))
Nite nite
{{{hugs}}}
trust is crap its scary and unreal and totally off balance for us, so we instead trust little but learn to live a little in the hope trust might come one day, hope that made sense LOL
Hi Kazza,
My other blog is on my side link list called Daisy. Read the early posts and you find out a little more about me.(And my secrets)
Post a Comment