Sunday, July 27, 2008

Back to Uni


Well, it is back to uni tomorrow. It has been a long break but all of a sudden it doesn’t seem long enough!! I always get a bit nervous when I’m going back to something after a break. It’s taken a lot for me to go to Uni and each break it is hard to put myself back in there, even though I know people now and have a group of friends.

It will be a big semester this time, with me having to give a one-hour presentation. I never ever thought I would be up in front of a group of people giving a presentation. If you had asked me 5 or 6 years ago if I’d be standing up doing that I would have laughed. Now it’s a bit of an hysterical laugh because that’s exactly what I’m going to do!! I can’t believe sometimes that I’ve reached this point.

How did a person with absolutely no confidence, who hates being in groups or should say hated being in groups come to be standing in front of a group of people like this? I’ve changed so much in the last 5 years it is really unbelievable. When I was nursing I really didn’t have any confidence in myself what so ever. I stayed in one job, which eventually wrecked my back because it was safer then moving on. I didn’t like being in groups of people and would try and fade into the background.

I remember a presentation I did during my training. My legs were shaking so much I could feel my knees knocking together!! My voice shook and I’m sure everyone could see how nervous I was. It wasn’t even a long presentation. It was just a report I had to give to the ward I was working on at the time. I think the reason I’ve been nervous of presenting is because of that experience. I was only about 19 though and a very shy, timid 19 too.

So it really is going to be an interesting semester. I’m hoping by the time my turn comes to present, which is somewhere in September that I’ll be comfortable with the group by then. I think it will be harder for the person going first, although we already know each other. I’m sure everyone in the group will be supportive of each other as well. It’s actually a mixture of emotions I feel. I’m excited, scared and anxious all in one. On the day I don’t know how I’ll feel and I know it might be a shaky start but hopefully once I get into it I’ll be right.

Kaz

4 comments:

Rosymosie said...

16 Hours to go Kazza. hehehehe. I used to love going back to Uni, meant lots of talk, coffee, and stuff like that. As well as some interesting thinkings.

KazzaB said...

I'm looking forward to catching up with the group. And I spose I'm looking forward to starting the new units. I think the presentation ones will be great. I think we'll learn a lot of interesting and different things. It's a bit different with a classmate standing up there too.
I'm going to do what Tony does and take a bowl of lollies. LOL

Kahless said...

Kazza, I tried the sweets one (I took chocolate cakes!) and it does work.

I am really excited for you about the challenges that will be presented before you this term which I know you will rise to and overcome.

KazzaB said...

Hi Kahless, I'm sure I will be okay once the presentation is over!! LOL We didn't have any presentations today, so just had the morning at Uni. We weren't meant to have a tutorial for the first class but it ended up that we did. I think the unit we did this morning, which was Counselling the Older Person will be very interesting. We'll have a good lecturer for it as well, which makes a difference.

Cheers........Kazza