
Wow, I’ve felt a real turn about in my thinking where the presentation is concerned today. I’m getting further into my essay, 1000 words so far and it is really firing up my enthusiasm for the subject. Being a subject that is close to home is really helping too. I am a chronic pain sufferer and my essay is on counselling the person with chronic pain so some of my own stuff has to come in there and add to the presentation.
Not a day goes by when I don’t have pain. It affects everything in my life. I can’t do what I used to do and I can’t do what other people take for granted. I have learnt that I have to think about things before I do them. If I go shopping I have to think, okay, I can do a certain amount but I’ll have to concentrate on say, getting the groceries and that’s all. I can’t do any other shopping combined with that otherwise the pain level will be too high.
My whole role in life had to be rethought out. People who might not understand that I can’t do as much as I used to suddenly became different in my life. Their role in my life was redefined. People who understand that I need to pace myself are like gold. I don’t have to push myself because I don’t think they’ll understand why I have to sit down. I don’t have to try and push past the pain and keep going when it becomes so hard to do so. And I’m getting more in the mindset that if someone doesn’t understand that I’m not putting it on, that I will have pain if I do too much, really doesn’t have a role in my life anymore.
Work is another area where things had to be rethought. Where I was once defined by my work, now I didn’t have a ‘role’ like everyone else. I was a nurse, which was how I was defined. For a long time, before I started Uni and probably before that I struggled to find a place in the world again. For a couple of years I felt like I was nobody. Then came the volunteer work of teaching computer and at least I could answer that this was my role for the moment. Then I became a student and now I can feel that I am something that my role in life is as a student. And that I am striving for something.
We can be very judgemental about anyone who is different in life or who doesn’t conform to the norm. If someone has a broken leg, it is obvious and you can assume they are in some pain. Someone with pain that can’t be seen outwardly is sometimes viewed with suspicion. Are they putting it on? Are they just malingering? How bad is their pain really? And perhaps that is all in the mind of the person who has the pain but it is very real. And it adds to the anxiety of the person who has the pain. It can’t be seen therefore is it really happening? I live by myself so there are things that I have to do, regardless of the pain. I find myself getting very paranoid about what others are thinking. I find myself thinking that I can read their mind. “Look at her, bending down and doing things normally – I wonder how bad her pain really is”. Maybe until I can really think to myself, I don’t give a stuff about what anyone else is thinking, I know what I’m feeling, there will be that little bit of paranoid thinking there.
I know I do avoid doing things as well because I know they will cause pain. Mopping the floor is one thing that kills my back. I will avoid it until the cows come home!! But eventually it needs doing and I have to do it. But it puts me out of action for a while. And the problem is I normally need to sweep before I mop, which already begins my back aching. It all comes down to trying to do as much as I can and resting when I need to. What they call pacing myself. But it’s hard because it becomes a bit of a cycle – it’s going to hurt, I want to avoid it but I have to do it, it gets to the point where it needs doing – NOW, it’s more painful because if I did it regularly it wouldn’t be so hard and then it causes more pain.
So, I am getting excited about presenting something, which for me I’d really love to educate more people about. Everyone has had pain in their life at sometime and everyone has an opinion on what pain is. But not everyone has suffered chronic pain and not everyone understands how different it is to acute pain. If you hit your thumb with a hammer it will hurt but the pain will eventually go away. Imagine hitting your thumb constantly with a hammer so that it never stops. That’s chronic pain – it never goes away.

Kaz

31 comments:
I am sorry for your chronic pain but glad you are managing around it. Though managing is such a horrible word.
I think I have partial insight as Mrs K has chronic pain and I have my Crohns disease.
Most of the time it is just too much effort to explain to people.
I am really pleased you are buzzing for your presentation!
You're right - it is a matter of managing around it. Knowing what I can't and can do. It doesn't always work because I have to do things I know will hurt my back. Or I will do something because I get sick of restricting myself. Like with shopping. Sometimes I will push myself to keep going although I know it would be better to go home.
It is too much effort to explain sometimes. I know of a couple of people who sometimes understand and other times you know they don't.
I'm really starting to get excited about it Kahless. And Madeleine gave me the idea of doing 500 words a day. For me that makes it less overwhelming and more manageable. And I'm actually looking forward to writing more on it today.
I've had things going around in my head that I could present. LOL
http://www.howtocopewithpain.org/blog/244/pain-blog-carnival-may/
I was surfing tonight and came across this. Dont know if any of the articles are useful for your research. Probably not, but maybe.
Thanks Kahless, I've just bookmarked it and will have a look at it. Could be very useful and its got some links there as well.
First week of Uni over. Yayyyy. LOL It's not that bad but it is good to get the first week over with.
Yayyyy
:-)
The length of semester is only about 13 weeks but it seems longer. LOL I think I'm going to enjoy my units this semester tho and they're not as deep as last semester. Last semester we had Counselling Children and it was quite a heavy unit.
Howya feeling today Kahless? I hope you're feeling better.
I bet child counselling is heavy. Must be emotionally draining.
I was thinking about your presentation. Are you going to go into maybe the more controversial area of chronic pain (body ailment) the expression of past trauma and buried feelings?
I hadn't thought of that angle but it is a thought. I probably wouldn't go into it too much but it's something to touch on. Thankyou for that idea, I hadn't thought of it at all.
Alice Miller is a big advocate of that. "The body never lies" is one of her books. She is controversial, though I do subscribe to her views. this is her website.
http://www.alice-miller.com/index_en.php
goto the readers mail tab. Its really interesting.
I've read Alice Millers books before. She's very good. I think I've also got her webpage bookmarked. She's a very strong writer and very interesting.
I subscribe to the childhood.int list (referenced under forum)
http://www.topica.com/lists/ourchildhood.int
and I post there too. It is very supportive as it is a moderated list and safe. If you like her works you would like this forum.
Thanks Kahless, I'll have a look at it. I'm not sure if I'm very much into forums but I'll definitely have a look.
You can just read. I only post maybe every few months. It is a closed forum and you can say things that you dont want to put elsewhere. I use a different name to Kahless too.
So do you have uni on a friday?
No, no uni today. I'm actually teaching computer in a voluntary capacity. I used to do it before but stopped and now I'm starting again. I love it. I teach basic computer to women who may never have used a computer before.
I assume you are a very patient person?
When I started teaching computer I really surprised myself by how patient I am Kahless!! LOL I really didn't think I could be that patient but I really love the computer and I spose that's the reason why. And most of the ladies I teach are really interested in learing more about them and it's such an achievement for them to master what they see as being beyond them.
I have been following this doc on tv about a guy teaching a group of adults to read and write. Something we take for granted. It is wonderful to see what difference it is making to their lives and the confidence it is giving them.
It's fantastic isn't it. I really love to see how happy these women are to learn about the computer when sometimes they've tried to learn and their children have got impatient with them or their husbands. Sometimes people who know computer go too fast as well and "take over" rather than let them do it themselves. That's the only way I learn is to be shown and do it myself. I can't follow instructions at all. LOL
I like to "take over" when it comes to pc's lol!!!!
I like to "take over" when it comes to pc's lol!!!!
I must admit I do have to stop myself sometimes!! LOL But mostly I have patience. I only have one client this morning and one this afternoon so it's one on one learning as well. I have two computers I can use.
At least you can take over your own computer then lol!!!
When aspects do you teach...
basic navigation like internet, explorer etc or software like word
I go back to real basics but depends what the client already knows. Sometimes I may have to teach them how to use the mouse. And stuff like the keyboard, what various keys do. Mostly though I teach basic formatting, opening files and all that sorta stuff. I haven't taught internet but with these two clients today, because they're the only ones I'm open to doing anything, so if they want to do internet we will.
Just be dont taking them to any naughty sites lol!!!
Hey I just read your comment at Tony's. I can relate to that too - high CC and CP. The CP just popping (or should I say jumping) out of nowhere. Its a bugger eh lol!
Kahless, you spoil all my fun!! LOL
Yeah, it is a bugger sometimes. Coasting along nice and smoothly and all of a sudden it's like the CP wants to be noticed again. LOL I used to hate the CC part of me but I'm learning to be a bit more gentle.
Anyway its been lovely to catch up with you Kazza. I ought to try and get some shut eye as some of us have to work to pay taxes to allow people to go to university lol!
I hope you have a great day
{{{Kazza}}}
It was good chatting Kahless.
Nite Nite.....
(((((((Kahless)))))))
we agree chronic pain is the worst
Post a Comment