Roses was asking about Chooky girl, so I thought I’d give you an update on my chook with the personality plus. In case you haven’t read the previous posts, chooky girl was a battery hen and I bought her, along with another chook, about 8 months ago now. Sadly the other chook died but chooky girl is still going strong.
At the moment she isn’t laying eggs but she was giving me an egg a day at one stage, so she’s a good layer. Then she went down to one every two days and now she’s not laying at all. I think it is too cold now and she is moulting as well. My next-door neighbours chooks aren’t laying either so that reassures me.
Actually I think chooky girl is in love with the rooster next door. Handsome looking fellow he is too. She’s taken to standing against the fence and flirting with him. As for handsome fellow, he starts cockadoodledooing to get her attention.
I don’t think she realises that she’s a bit of a cradle snatcher. Handsome fellow is only just learning to cockadoodledoo and it sounds like an adolescent rooster whose voice is breaking!! A really weird sound, I can tell you that!! So my chooky girl must have at least twelve months on him. I suppose that’s not too bad but he is only a young lad.
I’m almost thinking of asking my next-door neighbour if I can put them together. I might get a batch of little chickens then!! He’s a very handsome black colour and a very nice looking fellow so they’d have lovely looking chicks together. Maybe a cross between her brown colour and his black colour. I’ll keep you posted on what happens.

Kaz

9 comments:
ok ok ok
I think I need an explanation in Chookie birds and bees....
Ummmmmmm, what sort of an explanation Kahless...........
Maybe I should google it but I'll ask you instead and hopefully not embarass myself.
Do all female chickens lay eggs regardless of whether a rooster is around?
so what is the difference between and egg that turns into another chicken and eggs we eat?
And if they require a rooster to lay eggs do battery hens have to shag every day?
I'll answer those questions, Kahless.
A rooster is needed to fertilise an egg. Eggs are produced whether fertilised or not. A bit like a woman menstruating. Happens whether there is a rooster or not.
The only eggs that turn into chickens are those fertilised by a rooster. You can tell if an egg has been fertilised cause it has a little red spot in it when you crack it open.
No, battery hens don't get to root every day. Their eggs are unfertilised. No roosters in batteries. Takes the hens away from the job at hand.
Thankyou for answering Kahless's question because I wasn't really sure about that one Rosymosie!! I had a basic idea but wasn't really sure. LOL
I'm still thinking about letting chookie girl be a mother. LOL
Chickens are totally gorgeous. You would swoon over them Kazza :-)
I probably would Rosymosie. I wonder what Misty would think of them. LOL
Ohh my goodness. He is a fine specamin of a man! He kind of struts like royalty and i can't tell if his feathers look like a robe or a big black frock. It's all good - i mean there are such things a kilts.
She's got good taste that's for sure. I'm so happy that you found her. I'm so grateful that you found her. I'm a bit teary of late so i'm getting all sentimental over how lovely you are to her. Thank you for that Kazza. It's wonderful really.
speciman? specimen? No not something we take to the doctor in a jar. But the spelling of that word eludes me.
Whatever... happy week end Kazza!
Post a Comment