Well, what can I say about placement? There is a whole mixture of emotions probably, at testing my skills out in a real counselling situation. I haven’t actually started counselling anyone yet though. My supervisor did an assessment on the client I will have in the future and from now on I will begin counselling her. Providing of course she makes another appointment.
I went into the placement on Friday expecting to slot in like I’ve been there ten years. That’s how I am – no room for mistakes or the fact that it was my first day. Must be perfect!! I felt very inadequate at times, yet the feedback I got was positive. I felt out of my depth and expected myself to know everything, for example writing up an assessment. And yet I’d never done that before.
But I am very aware of my thought processes are how out of kilter they are in comparison to reality. I am a student – they don’t expect me to know everything. I don’t feel sometimes that I am very articulate in my speech and find explaining things difficult at times. But I also know where that comes from and it is something I will work on. I don’t have a lot of inner trust because I wasn’t allowed to develop that as a child. I wasn’t allowed to make decisions and I rarely spoke up. I also wasn’t allowed to have opinions. So I know where I am coming from when I say I don’t have trust in myself or my thoughts.
The positive is that I have a very supportive supervisor and the people are all friendly. I am very eager to learn and everything is interesting to me. I also think I take the initiative quite well, although I may have to watch myself with that because I take independence too far sometimes. I think as I settle in I will gain in confidence. I am never good at going into new situations and it takes me a while to settle. I’m excited to be on placement, although it has been eclipsed by nerves and can’t wait to learn more from my supervisor and the other people at the agency.
Kazza
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I am really excited for you.
Wow.
I reckon you with be FAB
FAB
FAB
FAB
FAB
FAB
FAB
FAB
FAB!!
Oh and I like your new blog colours too.
I had to change it back Kahless because it played up on me. LOL
Thankyou for your encouragement. Once I settle in and gain some confidence I think I will be fine. I'm excited too, amongst all the nerves. :-)
Is 'placement' like, a perminant thing? Have you begun your career as a counsellor now or is it like when a teacher begins and you just 'prac teach' for a couple of weeks?
I'm so excited that you're doing this! Holy Smokes Kazza - i think you're so brave!!
Good onya mate... roses
Hi Roses,
Placement is one day each week for 16 weeks and it means we go out and get practical experience. I've been placed with an agency that deals with mental health issues and really general counselling. I haven't counselled anyone yet and don't think I will this week either but eventually I will be counselling people. I'm nervous about putting my skills into practice but I'm lucky to have a supportive supervisor.
Thanks for your encouragement,
Cheers........Kazza
Post a Comment